The NLEX Corporation is the concessionaire, builder and operator of major tollways in the Philippines: North Luzon Expressway, Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway, and soon the NLEX Connector.
The tollway company has been an enabler of progress as its expressways bring travelers to their destinations and open floodgates of opportunities to people and businesses.
Over the years it has produced corporate calendars to communicate its role in the development of North and Central Luzon, and at the same time, in the promotion of the cultures and traditions of the North.
The company used paintings and photographs by Filipino artists as the artistic medium in its previous calendars. With the company gearing towards digitization, it aims to explore a medium that is also fueled by technology in its 2022 calendar: digital art.
Thus, NLEX Corporation launches a digital art competition as it seeks to strengthen its expressways’ position as the gateway to cultural discoveries and experiences in the North.
DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTEST
Being at the forefront of driving the progressive spirit and proud culture of North Luzon, NLEX Corporation calls on Filipino citizens to express their thoughts and innovative ideas through a digital artwork that will reflect the theme: NLEX-SCTEX: Gateway to the Unique People and Culture of the North.
This contest intends to showcase everything the North has to offer— rich and colorful traditions, meaningful connections, and memorable experiences.
In developing the digital artwork, participants may answer this guide question:
“What do you love about traveling North and how does NLEX lead you to cultural discoveries and unique northern experiences?”
The entire competition will be done online, from the submission of entries to the announcement of winners.
Twelve (12) best digital artworks will be chosen as winners and will be featured in the 2022 NLEX Calendar
GUIDELINES AND MECHANICS
- All entries must be created solely with digital technology and must be presented in various formats of stand-alone digital art image such as, but not limited to:
- Graphic Poster
- Fractal/ Algorithmic Art
- Dynamic Painting
- 2D Computer Graphics
- 3D Computer Graphics
- Pixel Art
- Manual Vector Drawing
- Integrated Art / Mixed Media and Hybrid Painting
- Raster Painting
- Computer-Generated Painting
These are the prescribed categories in relation to the context of the digital art output reflecting the overall theme of the Competition.
The contest is open to all Filipino citizens residing in the Philippines, aged 18 and above, should submit original creative outputs inspired by the theme: NLEX-SCTEX: Gateway to the Unique People and Culture of the North.
- Contestants must be natural persons—amateurs or professionals alike. Entries from groups or companies shall be rejected.
- NLEX employees and their relatives up to the second degree of consanguinity or affinity are disqualified from joining this Competition.
Rules and Regulations
- All entries should be in high resolution JPEG format, preferably with minimum dimensions of 1440 x 1920 pixels, at 600 dpi. The Google form accepts maximum of 10MB, if over please compress the file in ZIP format.
- Entries must be a static digital image that uses original creation by the participant.
- Each entry must be accompanied by an Artist’s Statement of no more than 150 words.
- The following entries are disqualified:
- Entries that were submitted in previous competitions, included in publications, or otherwise used for any commercial purpose;
- Entries with elements that infringe on the intellectual property rights of other individuals, organizations, or others creative sources;
- Animated works or moving electronic imagery;
- Entries that underwent a manual process in hand drawing, traditional painting, or printmaking that were migrated or scanned into digital format; and
- Entries that violate trademark and copyright laws, and those with explicit and malicious content that incites prejudice on race, sex, religion, and other forms of human and animal rights.
Submission of Entries
- Only one entry per contestant shall be allowed.
- The period of submission of entries will begin at 12:01 a.m. of July 15, 2021 and will end at 11:59 p.m. of August 15, 2021. Late submissions—as indicated under electronic time stamps—will be automatically disqualified.
- Contestants must download, fill out and upload Copyright Transfer of Agreement.
- Contestants must fill out all the required fields in the Google Entry Form provided, to establish the Artist’s profile and the confirmation of his/her original work
- Naming convention. Entry files should be named as follows: TITLE OF ARTWORK artist’s full name.jpg
- Entries with incomplete details or requirements are automatically disqualified.
- By submitting an entry, the Contestant agrees to all of the Competition’s rules, conditions, and mechanics, including the decision of the jury.
- Participation to the contest is free-of-charge and does not require any registration fee.
- Questions about the competition may be submitted to email@example.com, but only entries submitted using the provided Google form link will be honored.
- Contestants warrant that their submissions are their own original work, have not been copied from any other person or from previous designs, including their own, and do not infringe the intellectual property rights of any other person or entity.
- All submissions shall perpetually become the sole property of NLEX Corporation. The 12 best digital artworks shall be used in the 2022 NLEX Calendar and may be used for any other non-commercial purpose in accordance with its mandate. Contestants may not use nor publish their submitted entries without the prior written permission of the NLEX Corporation.
- By submitting an entry into this Contest, the Contestant permits NLEX Corporation to use the winner’s name, prize information, and all other information the Contestant provided, for publicity purposes, without need of further permission and compensation.
- NLEX Corporation shall have the right to adapt, edit, or otherwise use the winning submissions in part or in whatever manner and reason it deems appropriate, except for commercial purposes.
- NLEX Corporation reserves the right to use the images in materials related to cultural promotion and other NLEX-related programs.
Criteria for Selection of Winners
- Judging of entries is on August 23, 2021 at 10AM at NLEX Corporation Office, with a DTI representative.
- The winners will be selected by a panel of judges, whose decisions will be final.
- In case of tie scores, entries will be re-evaluated.
- Entries will be judged according to the following merits:
- Originality of the work concept – 40%
- Unity of Composition of Elements – 25%
- Relevance to the Theme and Interpretation – 20%
- Technical Proficiency and Creative Use of Digital Media – 15%
- Twelve (12) winning entries will be featured in the 2022 NLEX Calendar and each will win Php 25,000, net of tax.
- Winners will be notified via email and announced in the NLEX Corporation’s website and official Facebook page.
- Cash prizes will be awarded through bank transfers
- For winning entries, NLEX Corp. will be granted a written authority by the artist to use or publish the digital images for the promotion of art and creativity in its various programs. When circumstances allow in the near future, the winning entries along with other select entries shall be considered for an actual exhibition at the NLEX Corporation gallery.
- NLEX Corporation is not responsible for lost, misdirected, incomplete, illegible or otherwise unusable entries, including entries that are corrupted due to computer virus, poor internet connectivity or electronic device problems.
- NLEX Corporation reserves the right to cancel or modify the rules, conditions and mechanics of the Competition. It may also use alternate means to upon discovery and determination of fraud or technical failure. This right shall survive the period of submission.
- If any of the proclaimed winners is found to have violated any of the Competition’s rules, conditions, and mechanics, such contestant shall be required to forfeit the award and return the prize money he/she received, notwithstanding the fact that such determination is made after the Contest has been concluded.
Promo runs from July 15 – August 15, 2021.
Per DTI Fair Trade Permit No. FTEB-122271 Series of 2021